Re: unreproducable, but grave bug

It's really difficult for a maintainer to solve a problem he can not
reproduce.  The only solution it for you to attempt to debug it
yourself.

Options for doing this are:
 - Contact upstream, mysql should have a mailing list or something.
 - Try things like coping the databases to another machine and setup there
   and attempt to reproduce the problem.
 - backup the databases and purge the mysql package and data from the
   machine, then do a reinstall and put the databases back and see if
   the problem disappears. backuping up the mysql config might help with
   this that way you can compare with the default from the package to
   see if something in there could cause the problem.
 - etc.

its probably going to be trial and error, and if only one person reports
the bug then its probably local to that user and the bug should not hold
up mysql from going into testing.  I'd at least wait a while before
downgrading the bug, to check that no one else has the same problem.

so IMHO i would not close the bug but downgrade it.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:16:03AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Is it OK to close a bug just because it is un-reproducible?
>
> In this case (bug #112612) I have tried my best to help the maintainer
> understand the bug, but he has closed it with the compliant "reported
> doesn't give much info".

<snip>

--
Jason Thomas                           Phone:  +61 2 6257 7111
System Administrator  -  UID 0         Fax:    +61 2 6257 7311