Re: bad upgrade from talkd to ktalkd ... whose bug?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:40:54PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:31:13AM +0200, Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> > Yesterday at 17:35:63 you wrote the following wise words:
> >
> > > So the question is how to solve this kind of thing neatly? Should talkd
> > > and ktalkd remove its lines when you remove but not purge them?
> > >
> > It should 'update-inetd --disable ..' iself, I think.
> >
> > Wait... No, that's impossible, since it needs a service as an argument.
> > Removing the old entry is the only option left indeed... :-/
>
> I solved it for my package (efingerd) by removing every possible
> existing fingerd entry and putting there mine (in postinst),
> and removing it in prerm (assuming that other finger daemons
> should be intelligent enough to add the line for them when it
> is not in inetd.conf at all - and they are doing it, I checked)

Then you are vialating policy section 12.2:
The configuration file /etc/inetd.conf must not be modified by the package's
scripts except via the update-inetd script or the DebianNet.pm Perl module.
See their documentation for details on how to add entries.

Thanks,

Norbert