Re: Unstable X can't find font "fixed" dies immediately.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:57:47PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 06:31:37PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:56:17PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > > Subject says it all really.  Just upgraded to latest X in sid.
> > > All packages present, including xfs but fonts cant be found
> > > so X dies immediately. Any advice welcome!
> >
> > I'm getting some reports of this, but it's not affecting everyone.
>
> Can easily happen during upgrades that not everyone selects the same "new"
> package in the first place, not everyone uses the same frontend (dselect
> puts more pressure on you than apt to install recommended packages)...

Actually, it appears to be due to a bug in the biznet font packages...

> I got it upgrading from potato to woody; xfonts-base was not installed.
>
> apt-get install xfonts-base fixed it.
>
> Maybe there's a missing dependency somewhere?

You didn't have xfonts-base installed in the first place?  How were you
starting X on this potato system?  Where was your remote font server?
Did you stop running it when you upgraded to woody?

No, there's not a missing dependency anywhere.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an