Re: Unstable X can't find font "fixed" dies immediately.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 06:31:37PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:56:17PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > Subject says it all really.  Just upgraded to latest X in sid.
> > All packages present, including xfs but fonts cant be found
> > so X dies immediately. Any advice welcome!
>
> I'm getting some reports of this, but it's not affecting everyone.

Can easily happen during upgrades that not everyone selects the same "new"
package in the first place, not everyone uses the same frontend (dselect
puts more pressure on you than apt to install recommended packages)...

> I think perhaps one of the other font package maintainers screwed
> something up.

I got it upgrading from potato to woody; xfonts-base was not installed.

apt-get install xfonts-base fixed it.

Maybe there's a missing dependency somewhere?

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You have the body of a 19 year old.  Please return it before it gets wrinkled.