Re: make-kpkg and initrd

Adam Heath wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Daniel Freedman wrote:
>

> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > > compilation and install of the deb package goes well but it's not bootable :
> > > get a kernel panic  :
> > > Can't find a valid RAM disk image at 0.
> >
> > This might be an obvious thing to check for, but I'll suggest it anyway:
> >
> > The message upon installing the initrd kernel instructs one to make
> > sure that the following line is present in lilo.conf before running
> > 'lilo':
> >
> > initrd=/boot/initrd
> >
> > However, the standard make-kpkg install process with '--initrd' flag
> > actually creates the file /boot/initrd-2.4.x
>
> WHAT THE FUCK?
>
> The current setup uses a SINGLE initrd for ALL kernels?!?!?!
>
> BZZT!
>
> That will never work.  Period.

Even the kernel-image-2.4.10-k6 in woody does not work, after I installed
it I would get a panic.
Boot up with rescuefloppy, re-install 2.4.9 and things work.
Note that after the installation on 2.4.10, even 2.4.9 would not boot.

--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
Tel:    +358-9-47846331        *       Mouse movement detected      *