Re: Euro symbol and XFree

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:06:13PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Depends on the balance between how far we should support non-Latin-1
> languages and the size of xfonts-base package.  Yes, my idea will be
> insufficient.  However my idea will supply at least "fixed" font.
> This is enough for terminal emulators.

Per X font policy, the "fixed" name (as any alias name) is permitted to
reference one and only one font.  I don't see how your proposal helps
people requesting "fixed" at all...

> Now my above idea is just a suggestion.  Now my opinion is that
> it is a bad idea for xfonts-base to include all of Latin-9 fonts
> (if you were to do it, _you_ would be blamed for Latin-1/9-centrism).

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be blamed
for <insert gripe here>-centrism no matter what I do.  I'm just trying
to balance the competing needs of Debian's very diverse group of users.

If you think having to install xfonts-base-transcoded is a pain,
consider the situation when potato was released, when those fonts
weren't available *at all* in most of the encodings they currently are.

> > > It is true that I think the current situation of XFree86 and so on
> > > is ISO-8859-1-centrism.
> >
> > I think you're 100% wrong with respect to XFree86 itself.  Markus Kuhn,
> > Juliusz Chroboczek, Bruno Haible, Ivan Pascal, and a number of other
> > folks have been working very hard for the past few years to get decent,
> > modern i18n support into the X Window System codebase.
>
> Well, you are right, Unicode support of XFree86 is now under
> development.  However, you are forgetting about X11R5/X11R6
> internationalization efforts.

No, I'm not.  You're the one accusing people of "ISO-8859-1-centrism".
If you want to cite historical facts to undermine your own thesis, be my
guest.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           //     // //  /     /