Re: Euro symbol and XFree

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:26:05AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Anyway, I don't insist that xfonts-base should not include so many
> ISO-8859-1 fonts.  I just insisted xfonts-base should add one font
> from each encoding, besides its current contents.  I think this is
> a good compromise between people who need Latin-9 fonts and people
> who need other fonts under the situation that xfonts-base should not
> be too big.

I don't think this will work because most XLFD font requests at least
manage to include the family field.  Therefore requests for any other
family will fail, or return a font in the wrong encoding, which fails to
solve the problem you're trying to solve.

> The only way to solve "I need plenty of Latin-9 fonts but I don't
> want to install other fonts" problem is to supply separate packages
> for all encodings (xfonts-iso8859-1, xfonts-iso-8859-2, xfonts-koi8-r,
> xfonts-jisx0208, ...) but I think this idea is stupid.

I agree.

> It is true that I think the current situation of XFree86 and so on
> is ISO-8859-1-centrism.

I think you're 100% wrong with respect to XFree86 itself.  Markus Kuhn,
Juliusz Chroboczek, Bruno Haible, Ivan Pascal, and a number of other
folks have been working very hard for the past few years to get decent,
modern i18n support into the X Window System codebase.

See, for example, <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html>.

The main problem is all the weird oddball software in the world can't be
converted to Unicode overnight.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The only way to get rid of a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       temptation is to yield to it.