Re: Euro symbol and XFree

Hi,

At Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:38:19 -0500,
Branden Robinson wrote:

> I don't think this will work because most XLFD font requests at least
> manage to include the family field.  Therefore requests for any other
> family will fail, or return a font in the wrong encoding, which fails to
> solve the problem you're trying to solve.

Depends on the balance between how far we should support non-Latin-1
languages and the size of xfonts-base package.  Yes, my idea will be
insufficient.  However my idea will supply at least "fixed" font.
This is enough for terminal emulators.

Ok, I am not a requester of Latin-9 fonts and I don't understand
what they (native Latin-1/9-language speakers) really need.  I now
understand the raison d'etre of xfonts-base package is to supply
iso10646-1 fonts and fonts for non-internatlinalized old softwares
for compatibility purpose.  Then, I imagine people who want Latin-9
will naturally have to install xfonts-base-transcoded package, just
like people from other countries have to install it.

Now my above idea is just a suggestion.  Now my opinion is that
it is a bad idea for xfonts-base to include all of Latin-9 fonts
(if you were to do it, _you_ would be blamed for Latin-1/9-centrism).

> > It is true that I think the current situation of XFree86 and so on
> > is ISO-8859-1-centrism.
>
> I think you're 100% wrong with respect to XFree86 itself.  Markus Kuhn,
> Juliusz Chroboczek, Bruno Haible, Ivan Pascal, and a number of other
> folks have been working very hard for the past few years to get decent,
> modern i18n support into the X Window System codebase.

Well, you are right, Unicode support of XFree86 is now under
development.  However, you are forgetting about X11R5/X11R6
internationalization efforts.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/