Re: Euro symbol and XFree

Hi,

At Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:15:13 +0200,
Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Your analogy is not correct. Latin-9 is meant to be used by everybody
> who is currently using latin-1 and is supposed to supercede it in the
> long time, so if a package has a latin-1 font it probably should have a
> latin-9 font too.

I am against this idea.  Because:

 (1) The current situation of Latin-1-centrism is not very good.
     We should not enlarge this situation, as I wrote in another
     mail.  (Sorry I cited all messages from Branden accidently...)
 (2) In the long time, both of Latin-1 and Latin-9 will die and
     be replaced by Unicode.
 (3) Non-internationalized evil softwares will use Latin-1 fonts
     even you want Latin-9.  Thus, as Branden says, it is meaningful
     to prepare Latin-1 fonts for compatibility purpose but it is not
     in the case of Latin-9.  (Though the "compatibility" means the
     priviledged and discriminating position of Latin-1 but I am
     not radical enough to insist to remove it right now.)
 (4) You says that all people (who is currently using latin-1) will
     use latin-9.  I imagine you want to emphasis the importance
     and need of latin-9 but the same thing can be said for all
     other fonts.  All Japanese people need jisx0208 fonts.  All
     East European people need Latin-2 and will need Latin-10(?)
     for Euro sign. and so on.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/