Re: strange dependencies

Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> >From the complaint, it sounded like apache was installing mysql. From what
> you've posted here, it obviously isn't. libmysqlclient10 is a ~100k library
> package that installs no daemon and no executables.
Well, Maybe it's just a mistake. As I mentioned it's on Sid. I decided
not to write to the maintiner 'cause they're rarely write back, instead
they watch this list so I'm sure this message will get to the proper
person.

> > That's the point, they're historical :-)
> > I think many people wouldn't even notice it.
>
> No, historical means everyone will notice. Asking people to use a system
> without ifconfig and route (even if there are 'better' alternatives) is like
> asking them to use a system without ls. It's been there far too long for
> people to go without it.
I've been thinking... this could be an install option. Maybe a new task,
or something. Anyway, you're asked if you want to install packages
yourself or by the task. A new package could provide such funcionality.

> You'd have to ask Anthony Towns about that. From the source, it looks like
> both ip and ifconfig are used. Regardless, net-tools is going to stay
Yeah, just for arp :-)
--
Pozdrawiam,
Marek L. Kozak