Re: strange dependencies

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 07:34:07PM +0200, Marek L. Kozak wrote:

> But there're some things I don't like in this distro - dependencies. I

Bwahahaha! This is possibly Debian's most praised feature.

> want to install soft that I need and only this. However, I'm often
> pushed to have something I wouldn't install.
> Today I saw the newest apache-common needs mysql! I don't like it. Why
> the hell I have to install mysql if I don't need it ?

Are you sure?

jake@arrakis:~$ apt-cache show apache-common apache | grep mysql
jake@arrakis:~$

> That's the one example, the second is network configuration and related
> stuff.
> I understand Potato uses progs like ifconfig & route. However, people
> don't use 2.0 kernels nowadays, most of them switched to 2.4 and they
> prefer to use iproute2 package that provides very eficient tools, so why
> don't to change network scripts to use ip program ?

I can almost see your point, and while I use iproute exclusively, we are in
the minority. I'm sure many people would be confused by the absense of
historic commands like route and ifconfig.

Also, It would be a lot of work to get everyone to update their packages for
the new system. This is not a project for woody, perhaps the next release.

--
Jacob Kuntz
http://www.lucidpark.net/