Re: strange dependencies

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 07:34:07PM +0200, "Marek L. Kozak" <marko@cafe.terabajt.pl> was heard to say:
> But there're some things I don't like in this distro - dependencies. I
> want to install soft that I need and only this. However, I'm often
> pushed to have something I wouldn't install.
> Today I saw the newest apache-common needs mysql! I don't like it. Why
> the hell I have to install mysql if I don't need it ?

torrent:~> dpkg -s apache-common | grep mysql
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-2), libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4), libmysqlclient10, perl5 | perl

  The dependency there is on client libraries, not on the mysql daemon;
I presume Apache needs them in case you enable some particular feature.
(I see references to a mod_auth_mysql shared module?)

  If you think Apache shouldn't depend on the mysql libraries, you should
take it up with the Apache maintainer.  I suggest first looking at
#91264, #78670, and #88338, though...

  Daniel

|           Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.            |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/