Re: strange dependencies

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 19:34:07 +0200, Marek L. Kozak wrote:
> Today I saw the newest apache-common needs mysql! I don't like it. Why the
> hell I have to install mysql if I don't need it ?

You don't: see "dpkg -l mysql-client mysql-server". Apache-common does
require a library to be able to connect to mysql servers. From its
changelog: "  * Put mysql and pgsql modules back, closes: #97544, #91264.".

The module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth_mysql.so that's part of
apache-common requires the mysql client library in order to function, so the
package depends on it.

If you don't like this, file a wishlist bug report against apache-common to
request this module (and, for fairness sake, the mod_auth_pgsql.so one as
well) be put in a package by itself.

HTH,
Ray
--
RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may  not be a better one than the one
the blocks  live in but it'll be a sight more vivid.