Re: Unstable X can't find font "fixed" dies immediately.

I had this problem last week.  Running either update-font-dir or mkfontsdir on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, a message was received about a font file that could not be processed.  This made it impossible for update-font-dir to complete on this directory.  However, you didn't see the error message if only running apt-get install, etc.

After removing that font, and reinstalling (apt-get install --resinstall ...) the package that contained that font, I believe that the problem went away.

I was having some other X related problems too, however.

Alan Davis

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)