Re: autoconf/configure information sources?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > Just how many options can I put on the command line?
>
> Lots.  Included below is a patch to implement a --enable-SOMETHING for
> all the questions they define.  Putting an --enable-SOMETHING or
> --disable-SOMETHING will turn off that question and enable or disable
> the feature.  Any feature which doesn't have an --enable or --disable
> on the command line still gets the question asked.

The reason I asked is that one of the scripts I was looking at called
configure and only passes 9 options (natural restriction of shell
variables).

> > Could I add one more "feature" that would control them all (like
> > SET_DEFAULTS) and then modify the macro to check for this and use
> > the defaults instead of asking the question.
>
> You could, but I don't like that solutions because you can't
> selectively override the defaults.  Besides, I've already implemented
> the above, and don't want to implement the lesser solution.  8^)
>
> This solution does require that you keep track of what options are
> used in each version, but grep ASK_FEATURE configure.in will tell
> you.  You can safely put --enable/--disables on the command line, even
> if they aren't being used by a specific target.
>
> Pass the patch upstream, it looks fine to me.

Thanks! This looks workable to me. I'll let you know how I make out.
(Probably this weekend...)

> >> It may be that the upstream really wants to ask questions, so instead
> >> you could lobby for some kind of "configure config file" or something,
> >> that the debian packaging could put into place before running
> >> configure.  This would require changes to their ASK_FEATURE macro.
> >>
> > I'm not sure I'm following you here. How would this differ from my above
> > example solution?
>
> Well, this would let you selectively override the defaults for a
> specific option (by putting it in the file).  But I don't like it as
> much as the below.

Same here ... Thanks.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-