Re: editor alternatives?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:04:39PM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:29:37 +0100,
>   Jason Williams <jason@compsoc.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:40:05PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> > > I genuinely believe that the time has come to make nano the
> > > de facto default editor in debian.
> >
> > You are, presumably, taking the piss :-)
> >
> > Could I humbly offer the opinion that jed is by far the most newbie-friendly
> > text editor I've ever seen?
>
> I really like jed. Really, I do. But there is *something* about Nano(and
> Pico, of course) that just WORKS, when it comes to new people.
>
> Maybe it's the simplicity. Maybe. I dunno.

Umm... I'd bet it's the fact that the commands are all one key combination
(rather than C-x C-something-else a b c d, as seen is some editors), and
that the key combinations are prominantely displayed on the screen :-)

(BTW, I don't dislike emacs.  I'm just having trouble learning it)

> The point is, that even if people can't say *why* Nano is easier for
> people, it simply is. Put a bunch unfamiliar with any editors in front
> of computers, and I'll lay money on the outcome that people using Nano
> are less confused, more confident, and more productive(in the short
> period of time given - obviously something more advanced like Vim or
> Emacs can increase producitivity if the people using it actually *know*
> the apps).

Can't agree with you more!

--
Duncan Findlay