Re: apt-get and downloading more than one file at a time

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:44:20 +1000,
  Sam Couter <sam@topic.com.au> wrote:
> > Something I guess not a lot of people really need, but something I
> > personally would like to use: I want to have apt-get download two files
> > from the same mirror at the same time. (Just like it does two downloads
> > at once if it comes from different mirrors.) I guess this kind of thing
> > is what, bad manners?
>
> Very bad manners.
>
> What do you hope to achieve by doing this, anyway? You can't double your
> bandwidth by making two connections. You'll be downloading two files at
> once, at half speed each.

And, sometimes the ISP is interfering. I know that my bandwidth
saturates at 140kB/s(down, of course). However, only the first 300k of a
connection is that fast; after that, the connection drops down to about
40kB/s. This happens *very* consistently. At every site I've
tested(dozens). Of course, I can open multiple connections(to the
same server) and saturate my line(at the full 140kB/s). So really, for
me, this is an ISP thing, not a "I'm trying to download the cracked
Quake3 as fast as possible from the geocities server", but rather "my ISP
is playing with some weird load-balancing shit, and I'm not sure I like
it that much" :)

Have a nice day :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \