Re: autoconf/configure information sources?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:06:31PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> If I knew how to provide a "custom" option for configure.in, I could hack
> the macro into optionally using the defaults. Know how to do that?

Depending on whether you would prefer a --with[out]-xyz or and
-{en,dis}able-xyz option[1], you should use the macros AC_ARG_WITH or
AC_ARG_ENABLE, respectively:

AC_ARG_WITH([xyz], [  --with-xyz    enable xyz support],
  [
    if "x$withval" == "xno"; then
      <actions to disable use of the package>;
    else
      <actions to enable use of the package>;
    fi
  ], [
    <arg was not given, do the default stuff>
  ]

Similar with --enable-xyz.

 - Sebastian

[1] --with is used to tell autoconf that it should (not) use a certain
    software package (like e.g. OpenSSL), while --enable/--disable is
    used to en-/disable certain features.