RE: autoconf/configure information sources?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > OK, I've looked at the info pages, and I'm less satisfied than I expected.
> >
> > Maybe I should be asking specifics...
> >
> > The problem is that configure.in uses the ASK_FEATURE macro (a lot) and I
> > can find no information on this macro in the info file.
>
> That is not an autoconf macro.  Look in aclocal.m4 in the package.

Yep, I figured that part out. Although it isn't provided in aclocal.m4,
but in configure.in instead.

If I knew how to provide a "custom" option for configure.in, I could hack
the macro into optionally using the defaults. Know how to do that?

> No standard configure script that I know of prompts for answers.  It goes
> against the configure charter(read all the info docs on autoconf).

Somewhere around line 1 in the info and several other times in the text it
states that this process is to resolve such information without asking
questions of the user. Upstream very carefully defeated this useful
feature ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-