Re: autoconf/configure information sources?

I've clearly found someone who "knows something" ;-)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:

> [downloads source and looks at script]
>
> That's not standard autoconf.  A few options:
>
> * Patch the ASK_FEATURE macro to pull answers from the file

Ahh! I didn't realize this was an "added feature" by the author...

> * Ask upstream to put this stuff in configure flags (ie,
>   --enable-crash-menu)

Can you expand on this a bit? (I'm just too ignorant to follow your logic)

> * Your configure < answers trick.

The problem with this is the large number of "if bounded" questions. A
minor change in one question's answer can change the whole structure of
the answers file...

> Since this isn't standard autoconf functionality, there's no standard
> way to do this... and the upstream didn't build anything into their
> ASK_FEATURE macro.

I can see that it would be instructive for me to try to learn how to
modify this macro, but is it really cost effective to the problem at hand?

I'm probably one of the laziest people you will meet, and I will spend
lots of time looking for a more effective solution before I actually try
to start skinning the cat...

Thanks for all your help,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-