Re: ITP: kernel-patch-2.4.10-pppoa -- kernel patch for PPP over ATM

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 01:13:28PM -0400, Baruch Even wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I downloaded the patch from:
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/PPPoATM/2.4.8-pre5/
> Why do you need the kernel version in the package name?
> make-kpkg will attempt to use the correct patch for the kernel and you can
> have several versions of the patch inside a single package.
This is not the work of make-kpkg, but the work of the apply script.
The debhelper dh_installkpatches for instance will try to use the
correct patch.
<snip>
> I believe that placing the kernel version in the package name is
> superfluos and only causes extra work for ftp-masters, package maintainers
> and the users.
No doubt about that.
But it only goes so far :(...
Consider kernel-patch-adaptec.
I could easily get *all* the patches for *all* kernels from Gibson's site.
That would make the patch as big as the latest kernel. No problem for me,
I am behind a 2MBit connection.
(It seems to break on 2.4.12 :( )

I consider the latest 3 kernels in 2.4 and 2.2.19 enough support for
some patches.

But there is no policy about that yet...

How far should one go into supporting older kernel releases?
Especially since the older kernel-source-xx packages seem to dissapear
at a fast pace also.

--
mail          up   45+19:49,     2 users,  load 0.00, 0.05, 0.08
mistar1       up    3+17:02,     5 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00