File corruption

Hello, I'm not a debian developer (yet), but I hope I am allowed to post a
message here. It is about a potential bug, but I can't send it with the
BTS, because I don't know which package to file it against.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:58:59 Russell Coker wrote:
> Also there's this new "tainted kernel" thing which is a huge new feature,
> and
> there are rumours about Ext3 FS corruption and data loss..

Maybe my problem has something to do with these rumours, maybe not: When I
copy large amounts of data sometimes some bytes are changed. This must
sound vague: sometimes, some bytes, but unfortunately this is the case, I
haven't figured out a reproducable test-situation.
This is what I did do: I created a testfile of ca. 22 GB, and (let a
cron-script) copy it once a day. Then I compare the original and the copy
with my own 'diff' which then states: x bytes different. x is often 0, but
has been 22 as well. Does someone have a clue, or can someone give me a
direction where to file this potential bug?

I run raidtools2, raid 5 on 3 disks.
ext2 (or is it ext3?, in any case I don't use any journalling)
I use 'cp' to copy the files.
I tested my 3 HD's with badblocks once, no errors.
I'll be happy to give more details if needed.

Thanks in advance, Steven Mooij.
Steven Mooij
Kavezet Automatisering
Korvezeestraat 37