Re: woody is getting worse...

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:53, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Oh yes, modutils adds a new ieee1394 interface before the the
> > corresponding change is made in the kernel, and that makes it a kernel
> > bug does it?
>
> Even if the kernel was released at the same time it's still a horribly
> bad idea since nobody upgrades them in sync. Stable kernel series
> indeed..

If that's the worst problem you've found in 2.4.12 then consider yourself
lucky.

My Thinkpad regularly locks up when suspending with 2.4.12 (used to be fine
with 2.4.10).  The X DRI setup for my NVidia card is suddenly broken for
reasons I haven't yet determined (same config as for several previous
kernels).  The Cramfs patch I was using doesn't work with 2.4.12 and I
couldn't work out how to get it going again (which is OK as I'm now using
romfs which is heaps better).

Also there's this new "tainted kernel" thing which is a huge new feature, and
there are rumours about Ext3 FS corruption and data loss.

IMHO 2.4.12 should be called 2.5.0!