Re: squid cache

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:04:35AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> I have found something really has screwed my log files:
>
> -rw-r-----    1 proxy    proxy       70694 Oct 16 10:25 /var/log/squid/store.log
> -rw-r--r--    1 proxy    proxy      373303 Apr 30 06:12 /var/log/squid/store.log.0
> -rw-r-----    1 proxy    proxy      911534 Oct 16 06:30 /var/log/squid/store.log.1
>
> Last week I noticed the same thing with access.log: access.log was
> newest, access.log.1 was 2nd newest, access.log.0 was months old.

You're not the only one, and squid isn't the only problem affected.  I noticed
this behavior a week or two ago with other logfiles.  Check out your syslog
logfiles; mine look like this:

-rw-r-----    1 root     adm        209233 Oct 15 22:15 /var/log/syslog
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm        103681 Jan 28  2001 /var/log/syslog.0
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         12598 Oct 15 06:25 /var/log/syslog.1.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         49422 Oct 14 06:25 /var/log/syslog.2.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         15321 Oct 13 06:25 /var/log/syslog.3.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         27612 Oct 12 06:25 /var/log/syslog.4.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         34481 Oct 11 06:25 /var/log/syslog.5.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         14343 Oct 10 06:25 /var/log/syslog.6.gz
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm         10786 Oct  9 06:25 /var/log/syslog.7.gz

It looks as if logrotate no longer rotates to .0 at all, but starts with .1.
I never got any warning about this, so I consider it a bug.

--
 - mdz