G++ 2 => 3 transition (was Re: GNU C++ 3.0 porting help wanted)

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 08:42:33PM +0200, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
[big snip]
> Another issue I found is related to the name-mangling [1] of
> C++-symbols. The changes between 2.x and 3.x are intentionally
> incompatible, because the ABI[2] changed too. I found this problem
> when trying to link with wxWindows, a C++ class-library. The problem
> will probably only be solvable by recompiling wxWindows with g++-3.0
> but that too will result in an not backward-compatible change; I
> have not the foggiest when this will happen nor how this transition
> will be handled (anyone?).

AFAIK the problem has been raised before, but no solutions have been
proposed. So I'll have a go...  :)

I think the only practical solution for C++ library packages is to
support both the old and the new ABI during the transition period.

Each library package would build two sets of packages; one
libfoo/libfoo-dev for GCC 2.x, one for GCC 3.0+. The packages for 2.x
should probably be in the "oldlibs" section.

I think it will be necessary to have the 2.x packages install their
files in a directory other than /usr/lib. In this case, that directory
also needs to be added to the library search path of g++ 2.x and to
/etc/ld.so.conf.

Cheers,

  Richard

--