Re: squid cache

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:43:12PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 05:56, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't just save 500 bytes of transfer, but DNS lookup and
> > connection setup entirely.  Since we know that these files won't change
> > for a full day, this should be avoidable.
>
> True.  But the DNS isn't really an issue when you are requesting 100+ files
> from the same site.

I suppose you're right, that isn't much of a factor.

> Does Squid support persistant connections to sites?  If so then the overhead
> for checking the time stamps on upstream shouldn't be significant.

It has knobs for it in the configuration file, so I assume it does.  I
can't say that I've observed it actually doing this (on the server
side).

> > For example, if I am bringing a new server online and my favorite
> > mirror is unreachable, I can still get package lists, and install
> > any packages that are already cached (which I should rightly be able
> > to do).
>
> True.  Is there any way to tell Squid to recognise network outages and
> sent objects from the cache without checking expiry?

It should be possible for Squid to do this without having to be told,
but from experience it does not seem to, nor do I know of a way to force
this behavior.  However, I haven't checked the source.

--
 - mdz