Re: [RFC] Hits/directions to using autoconf and friends in Debian

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 06:09:26PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > I'll clarify a bit more. But it's a simple shell script that calls every
> > > autotool/whatever program in the proper order. Just that.
> >
> > Is there a reason not to use autoreconf?
>
> Yes. autoreconf does not know how to handle gettext, libtool, pipe
> upstream-screwed-up-by-emacs python files through vim to expand tabs,
> update a list of executable files that were added by diff and therefore lose
> the +x attribute when unpacked by dpkg-source...
>
> i.e.: you might want to do a LOT of other stuff, besides running autoreconf
> ;)

Agree, I did not read your mail carefully enough and believed you were only
talking about regeneration of auto-* generated files.
But in many cases, this command is sufficient and there is no need to wonder
what to put in this autogen.sh file, maybe you should add a note about it
in your text.

Denis