Re: [RFC] Hits/directions to using autoconf and friends in Debian

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Norbert Veber wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:54:34AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Suggestions of other places this information should be in (other than
> > autotool-dev's nearly-never-read README.Debian file) are welcome.
>
> To make it semi-official, it should probably be in the  Developers'
> Reference..  dh_* programs that automate the process, and are added to the

I'll post it as a wishlist bug for inclusion in the developer's reference,
then.

I seriously doubt we'll ever see a dh_* program dealing with the GNU
autotools.

> > Packages that can take advantage of autotools-dev at build time should
> > Build-Depend on it.  Packages that do autotools-dev-related work in autogen.sh
> > only need not such a build-dependency (but please document the packages
> > autogen.sh needs in comments at the top of that file!).
>
> This isnt explained very well IMO.  What is autogen.sh?  It is vaguely
> explained at the end of your text, though I'm still not sure I get how its
> supposed to work.

I'll clarify a bit more. But it's a simple shell script that calls every
autotool/whatever program in the proper order. Just that.

I think I'll send a wishlist bug to cvs-buildpackage with some explanatory
material, too.

  Henrique Holschuh