Re: Menu: Web Browser vs. Web browsers

Jochen Voss wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 12:05:51AM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 20:56:23 -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > > This generates 2 menu entries in my Apps/Net menu, rather than one.  Which
> > > is correct, "Web Browser" or "Web browsers"? -- I guess I'd vote for the
> > > former.
> >
> > Given the precedent of "Apps", "Games", "Databases", "Editors" etc., my vote
> > goes to the plural.
> So currently singular and plural forms are mixed.
> The menu policy really should include some hints about hints.

  it's even worse (judging by hints on my system):

  space as the first character:

      1  Mixer
      1  Player

  both singular and plural:

      1 File manager
      3 File managers
      2 Web Browser
      6 Web browsers
      2 Word processors
      2 WordProcessors

  otherwise inconsistent:

      2 News
      1 News Reader

  bad ones:

     44 KDE
     33 Gnome

  unify section/hints:

  IMO hints should be treated the same way as submenu titles (sections)
are, after all that's what they are. Maybe the hints shouldn't really be
hints but there should be one system created out of current section &
hints so that it would be clear that hints are really somewhat weaker
(i.e. not always visible) sections.

  about the bad ones:

  all other hints specify what the application does, not what libraries
application uses - i.e. that info is orthogonal to all the other hints.
kde/gnome info is more suited for a fields like 'needs' or something
like that. it definitely should not be used to further subgroup menus.
The hints are for optimization of menu tree (see docs for menu package).
Sticking irrelevant info in hints just creates messy system...

  while we're at it (let's go slightly off tangent): most email tools
are under Apps/Net (mutt, mozilla, netscape) but evolution is in
Apps/Tools. is it a bug?

  considering what policy says it doesn't look like evolution should be
in tools:

Tools
         simple apps, like clocks, that perform only one task

	erik