ITP - was sector sparing and recovery - should I ITP?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:25, Norbert Veber wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:49:53AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > When an IDE or SCSI disk has bad sectors then you can recover data by
> > repeatedly reading it and then writing it back once it's successfully
> > read, when written back it'll end up on a good part of the disk.
> >
> > I've written a program to do this and used it to recover data from a hard
> > drive (a drive that's still in service today).
> >
> > Should I package this?  A program like this if used by a clueless user
> > can really kill data (think about read and write-back on a mounted file
> > system or swap device and what happens when the race conditions get hit).
>
> Why not add a check to see if its mounted?  More specifically, make sure
> its not mounted, or its mounted ro (so that it can still be used on / in
> single user mode).

OK.  I intend to package this.  It will be released under the GPL.

I need a name for it, any suggestions?

Also does anyone have a GPL code chunk that determines whether a device is
not mounted or mounted read-only?

Of course I'll want to check for RAID use and LVM use too, any suggestions
for code on this?