sector sparing and recovery - should I ITP?

When an IDE or SCSI disk has bad sectors then you can recover data by
repeatedly reading it and then writing it back once it's successfully read,
when written back it'll end up on a good part of the disk.

I've written a program to do this and used it to recover data from a hard
drive (a drive that's still in service today).

Should I package this?  A program like this if used by a clueless user can
really kill data (think about read and write-back on a mounted file system or
swap device and what happens when the race conditions get hit).