apt not supporting 301 responses?

Package: apt
Version: 0.5.4
Severity: important

Recently, ftp.kernel.org moved their mirror of Debian to a new
machine, mirrors.kernel.org.  They did the right thing and respond
with a status of 301 (permanently moved) when you request any url
under http://ftp.kernel.org/debian (or http://www.kernel.org/debian).

The problem is that apt doesn't handle 301 status and complains that
it can't find the necessary Package files.  Obviously, I can edit
sources.list to point to the new localtion but I'm rather suprised
that apt is not performing the second request in response to the 301
status.

-- System Information
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Kernel Version: Linux debian 2.4.9 #1 Tue Sep 11 09:43:51 PDT 2001 i686 unknown

Versions of the packages apt depends on:
ii  libc6          2.2.4-3        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libstdc++2.10- 2.95.4-0.01090 The GNU stdc++ library

--
Stephen

"So if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood."... "And
therefore?"... "A witch!"