Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 07:47:55PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:14:54AM +0200, Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 12:34:44PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   Other people have already answered this..basically, there are a
> > > couple things:
> >
> > don't you all understand my mails?
>
>   I composed most of this before reading all of your emails.  Sorry
> about that.

ah, ok.

> > >   Firstly, while poor English skills are part of the problem, they are not
> > > the whole problem.  We also need to address the fact that people write
> > > descriptions which are just not useful.  In fact, this might almost be
> > > more problematic than bad English -- in all but the most extreme cases,
> > > a native speaker unfamiliar with the package can easily submit a bug
> > > against it with grammatical and stylistic corrections; if the
> > > description does not provide enough information to work out what the
> > > package is/does, this can be very difficult.
> >
> > Because of this, the reviewer can request a special source package and
> > he will get all descriptions of this package.

oh, maybe s/special/selected/ is better

>   I don't understand this.  Could you elaborate?

_Now_ you can get descriptions from the ddts in three ways:
 - witch 'GET'
   you will get some random, unreviewed descriptions
   you can add a 'SECTION' option, and you get only descriptions from
   packages from this section (like x11, tex, net).
 - with 'REQUEST'
   you get one description from one specify (.deb) package
 - with 'SREQUEST'
   you get all descriptions from one source package

A native speaker can request some selected descriptions from the
server. If he found a error, he make a '[S]REQUEST <package name>',
review the description and send this to the server.

Or if the reviewer have time and he is a network expert: he make a
'GET 4 SECTION net' and he will get 4 descriptions from this area.

IMHO the server should send the descriptions only per source packages
to the reviewer in the review process.

and all the reviewer need a mailing list, to ask others, get comments
etc. A Mailing list is usefull!

(We have this problem in the german translation group. We don't have
a ML now...)

Gruss
Grisu
"GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them."
                                - Richard Stallman - The GNU Manifesto, 1985