Re: Completely OT, just to quickly prove a point.

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 06:37:50PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > This is probably flame bait, but I disagree.
> >
> > RTFM = Read the Fucking Manual.
> >
> > Someone curses you in person, you're insulted.  In email, you're
> > not?
>
> Oh, I thought it was:
>
> RTFM = Read The Fine Manual

both meanings are possible. and several more.

"RTFM" has been around for ages now. it's now a word in and of itself,
meaning (depending on context) anything from "that's documented" to
"look in the documentation"

same as "AOL" doesn't only mean "America Online", it also means "me too"
or "i agree" (and not always in a negative sense)...and "RTFM" is a
*lot* older than "AOL".

i was using it in a non-pejorative manner back in the early 1980s...and
i'd picked it up as slang from people before me.

> There was no insult...

correct.

craig

--