Re: A language by any other name

On Friday 28 September 2001 00:30, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 11:44:04AM -0700, Thomas Zimmerman wrote:
> > should alias to en_US here in the US, and en_GB in England. If really
> > don't like your man pages in en_GB then _you_ should "translate" it to
> > en_US.
>
> And en_AU here in Australia, please. In fact, on my potato system I see
> that the following English variants exist:
>
> en     en_AU en_BW en_CA en_DK en_GB en_IE en_US en_ZW
>
> (ZW - Zimbabwe? BW? DK?)
ZW is likely china.
DK is Denmark. Notice that this is not an english varient (we dont speak
english), it's a locale and locales set a large range of parameters. en_DK
was  invented to provide an english locale with sane messurement and formats.
Think of it as british messages with meter/liter/celsius and all the other
common european standards that neither GB nor US follows. IMHO it is the ONLY
usefull locale..

`Allan