Re: A language by any other name

On 28 Sep 2001, John Hasler wrote:

> David N. Welton writes:
> > A lot of people in Latin America seem to refer to Spanish as Castillan -
> > I'm not sure why.

> Because that is the dialect of Spanish usually taught outside Latin
> America.

The language of Spanish origin, rather -- it's referred to as 'Castillian' to
distinguish it from other languages of the Iberian peninsula which enjoy a
linguistic history independent of Castillian Spanish.  (Galician is more
closely related to Portuguese, and Catalan has enough differences to be
considered a much-maligned sibling to Spanish/French/Italian, rather than a
dialect.  Oh, I suppose Basque could be considered a dialect -- of Hungarian,
maybe. :)

> Is there a Catalonian locale?

ca_ES

> Andalusian?

Nope (Andaluz is considered a dialect and doesn't enjoy much recognition)

> Galician?

gl_ES

> Which one are you going to make Spanish an alias for?

Hmm, hrr...  well if the word used is 'Spanish', then it's safe to point to
es_ES, because for all intents and purposes this is what that word is taken to
mean in English.  If the alias name is 'español', you'll start to push your
luck. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer