Re: A language by any other name

>> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

 > > Which one are you going to make Spanish an alias for?
 >
 > Hmm, hrr...  well if the word used is 'Spanish', then it's safe to
 > point to es_ES, because for all intents and purposes this is what
 > that word is taken to mean in English.  If the alias name is
 > 'español', you'll start to push your luck. :)

 Español means "one that comes from España" and "a romance languaje
 derived from the dialect spoken in the Kingdom of Castilla and official
 language of Spain and Latin America".  I don't have any problem
 whatsoever if some file defaults to aliasing "español" to "es_ES".
 Given the current contents of locale.alias, I can reasonably assume the
 person who wrote it didn't know how to write Spanish in Spanish.  But
 back to the point, this is what people have forgotten in this thread:
 it's a *default*.  We are not declaring British English to be better.
 We are discussing about a *default* value for the "english" token.

 Or should I now submit a bug against locales for aliasing Spanish to
 es_ES?

--
Marcelo             | "Pour encourjay lays ortras."
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)