Re: libtool problem: -version-info makes me change package nameevery release

On 28 Sep 2001, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-09-28 at 12:20, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Federico Di Gregorio <fog@mixadlive.com> immo vero scripsit
> >
> > > in debian we uses the soname version in the package name and usually
> > > change it only when binary compatibility is broken, right? well... what
> > > should i do? release a NEW package every time the upstream author
> > > release a new version? this is IMO wrong, because, for example, going
> > > from 0.0.21 to 0.0.22 does not break the API.
> > >

> > Adding a new function should not break binary compatibility.
>
> right. that's _not_ my problem. my problem is that if you use libtool
> versioning, adding a function *always* results in an increase of soname
> version. and _that_ forces (per policy) a change in the package name.
> and i don't want to release a new package every other day... :(

The problem is not with libtool versioning. It's perhaps a problem with
someone who doesn't understand libtool versioning...

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400