Re: A language by any other name

Sean Middleditch <elanthis@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > Why such emphasis?  The idea is to spell words like "colour" instead of
> > "color", not to write the ls man page in iambic pentameter.

  No, the idea is to spell it "color," not "colour."

  The mass of writing in the computer world is American English, for
  better or for worse, and having different spellings in a single
  system is as distracting and unprofessional as misspelling the word
  entirely. Now some don't think that misspelled words are a big deal,
  but these are not enlightened people.

  Just so there is no confusion, I am not suggesting that everyone in
  the world use American English for everything. American English
  should be used for the documentation in a Debian system and
  therefore the alias for English should be en_US. If Romeo and Juliet
  were turned a package, the text would of course be in en_GB, but
  /usr/share/doc/r&j/README.Debian and the man page ;-) would be in
  en_US.

  If a multi-billion dollar company whose employees have all learned
  British English decide that their documentation should be in
  American English, that's saying something.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!