Re: PROPOSED: slight change to wnpp procedures

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 06:38:46PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> immo vero scripsit
>

> > Well, the bug could be reassigned to "wnpp,ftp.debian.org".  That should
> > work with the current BTS without changing anything.
>
> I think it should be kept to wnpp.
>
> At least, so that we have a distinction between
> ITP that has been withdrawn, and an ITP that is
> going to be fulfilled.

That seems completely orthogonal to the proposal.

* If an ITP is being withdrawn and no package has been uploaded yet,
  then the bug hasn't already been reassigned to "wnpp,ftp.debian.org"
  and it can be retitled "RFP:" as usual
* If an ITP is being withdrawn and a package has already been uploaded,
  but is not installable because overrides/database updates are still
  pending, the package should be deleted from incoming (would happen
  under existing policy anyway), the bug retitled (would happen under
  existing policy), and reassigned back to just "wnpp" (new step).
* If an ITP is being withdrawn and the package is already in the
  archive, the ITP bug should already have been closed.  The usual
  RFA/ITO rules apply here.

I think it is probably rare that a person will withdraw his ITP after
actually uploading a package.

> It's about new packages, after all.  And not everything related to
> ftp.debian.org needs to be at ftp.debian.org.

Why is that?  It's generally accepted practice that bugs against my
packages, for instance, should be assigned to my packages, not someone
else's.

As I said before, this proposal makes it easy to tell when the ball is
in the FTP admins' court, without requiring any special action from them
under normal circumstances (that is, they vet the package and accept it
into the archive).  When a package has to be rejected, I can think of no
better place for the information than the ITP bug report.

I suppose it would also be necessary for a rejected package to be
reassigned back to just "wnpp", but this sort of thing seems pretty
scriptable (and even if not, it's a one-liner in shell if you have
devscripts installed[1]).

[1] "bts reassign 123456 wnpp"

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If you wish to strive for peace of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    soul, then believe; if you wish to