Re: PROPOSED: slight change to wnpp procedures

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:54:29PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Rather than making it to be reassigned to something else,
> it might be better to retitle it to make it look
>
> "ITP-uploaded: package - description"
>
> or
>
> "Uploaded: package - description"
>
> and still assigned to wnpp.
>
> It will make clearer which packages are still in preparation
> and which are not (which is not obvious in the current state),
> and not make ftp.debian.org overloaded with bugs.

I don't really see how retitling is any better than reassigning.

As with account creation for New Maintainers, inclusion of an uploaded
package with an ITP bug against it is the "final stage" in the
realization of the new package.  We don't have fully fledged new
developers until their accounts are created; we don't have fully fledged
new packages until dinstall/katie can pull them into the archive.

Also, I don't think ftp.debian.org will be overloaded with open bugs;
getting new packages that have been ITP'ed into the archive is just as
important a function as removing packages that have been orphaned, and
we file bugs for that.

Furthermore, as I said, this gives a place for people to post reasons
why a package may not be acceptable for inclusion into the archive.

Finally, should the ftp.debian.org buglist start to back up, it might
serve as a useful barometer telling us that we need to add members to
the team.  (As they are delegates of the Project Leader, though, it's up
to the DPL to make this call, as I understand it.)

> But it's one more step to the procedure, and I guess it will add to
> the confusion / manual mistakes.

That could be a risk.  Does it outweigh the benefits?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The first thing the communists do
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    when they take over a country is to