Re: A language by any other name

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:04:50AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> > Doesn't solve the problem of the default charset though...
>
> iso8859-1 covers most people, doesn't it?  I mean, as a default.  I
> admit I don't know a lot about charsets - iso8859-1 is enough for me
> to comunicate in Italian and English.

ISO 8859-1 has been the traditional charset of English under Unix. (The
alternatives have usually been rough permutations of iso8859-1.) UTF-8
is nice, but too much stuff still spits up over it to make the default.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,