Re: A language by any other name

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> writes:

> Seems to me that "American English", "Australian English", "British
> English", "Singaporese(?) English", "Hong Kong English", "Canadian
> English", etc. are most appropriate; there is no reason for one
> particular variant to be called "English."

As per my original suggestion.

We are going to get nowhere trying to force something down people's
throats.

We should not force anyone to write in American or British or whatever
English, or have either one be The English that we use.  Otherwise, we
will just go on with this stupid debate.

Oh, and as someon from the US, the language I speak is English.  Got
that?  All of you(*) making snide remarks that it's not "really"
English can "jolly well fuck off", to turn a phrase:-) I don't speak
American - I speak English.  American English, if you want to qualify
it, is fine, but the language is English.  It's quite real.  If it
weren't, you wouldn't be able to read this.

(*) Especially those of you who don't even speak English as your
native language - where do you get off on telling me what I speak?!

Maybe we should just use Debian English or Internet English, wich
means: produce something legible by other inhabitants of the Internet
and/or Debian, and who cares about the details.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/