Re: XFS Kernel image packaging

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 01:12:52PM -0600, Russel Ingram wrote:
> Pardon me if I sound like a newbie here.  I am fairly new to the Debian
> way, but I am a Linux veteran.  I have noticed that there are patches
> available in the debian package tree for the XFS filesystem but there are
> no available kernel-image packages with XFS already built in.  Is there a
> specific reason for this or is it just because no one has stepped forward
> to offer such a package?

There are _no_ kernel images for patched kernels as far as i can tell.

> If the latter is true I would be willing to be a maintainer for a
> kernel-*-xfs package set if no one else is working on it.  I haven't been
> able to find any references specific to making kernel packages in the
> packaging manual or the policies so I'm also curious about whether or not
> official debian kernel packages are created with the make-kpkg command or
> if it has to be done with dpkg-deb tool.  I've used the make-kpkg command
> to create kernel packages, but they always come out with a custom-1.00
> label on them and I haven't figured out how to get around that.

Please wait before rolling out a kernel-*-xfs package. Things are in flux
right now due to XFS and EXT2FS/EXT3FS moving to a common api for extended
attributes and access control lists.  Andreas Grünbacher warned on the
acl-devel list that he will have to break binary compatibility for the EXT2FS
patches.   This is one of the reasons that the EXT2FS-releated EA/ACL stuff
has not been made available by me.  The ITP still stands, but i will not
roll out packages i know will break later on.

Dominik
--
ScioByte GmbH, Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2, 55127 Mainz (Germany)
Phone: +49 6131 550 117  Fax: +49 6131 610 99 16

GnuPG: 717F16BB / A384 F5F1 F566 5716 5485  27EF 3B00 C007 717F 16BB