xmodmap???

I tried activating the Euro symbol. To do so I have to activate it on
AltGr-E. So that should be easy. I just created a .Xmodmap file in my home
which contains:

keycode 26 = e E currency

This works if executed by hand, but not automatically. I verified that the
file is xmodmap'ed in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xfree86-common_xmodmap but the
key is no longer available once X has started. I checked some archives and
found that others have/had the very same problem. But I did not find an
explanation for this. On the other hand there appears to be no bug report
either against xbase-clients. At least that's what the web page search on
bugs.debian.org said.

Any idea?

Michael
--