Re: dpkg logging

> > Previously Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > Stdout and stderr from the maintainer scripts. (This may be obvious, but
> >> you didn't explicitly list it.)
> >
> > No, they should use debconf.
>
> Regardless of whether packages are using debconf, I have wondered for *years*
> why we didn't at least have the option of logging stdout and stderr from
> everything in the install/update process.  I think it's a good idea.
>
> Bdale

I have proposed this two years ago and implemented it in my automatic
installer for slink. The idea is to start a script session from an
initscript hook for vt1 and have all the debian installation started
automagically by the shell run by script with all output logged into
a logfile.

Since all can be done with shell script hacks this solution is very
easy to implement and requires very few changes to the installation
program. A simple shell wrapper should work.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |