Re: gpg and trustdb very slow

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:37:33AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (hmh@debian.org) wrote:
> > >
> > > I know that the Werner revamped the whole keyring code about 1 or two
> > > weeks ago. I just tried the --list-keys with my private and the debian
> > > keyring specified in the options file and I didn't took more then 5
> > > minutes for me. (AMD K6-200). So I don't think if anyone would really
> > > want to optimize the code more, he should look at the current cvs code.
> >
> > As well as reading the docs, where it is said that one must reinsert
> > all keys in the trustdb to take advantage of a new caching
> > algorithm...
>
> Could you point us to the relevant docs and/or the command for
> re-reading keys?

Nope, I have no idea where the hell I read that. I'd try the changelogs of
upstream and the Debian package, however: that rings a bell on my mind.

As for the useful information, that I can help you with. All you have to do
is to let gnupg readd all your keys to a keyring (as in 'new insertions to a
keyring are made in the new cache scheme'). Simple enough to do with any RW
keyrings you might have:

1. move every keyring out of the way, including the RO ones.
2. feed a keyring to gnupg. You might want to use --fast-import followed by
an --update-trustdb for that.
3. replace the old keyring you fed gnupg with with the new one
4. repeat as needed.

I actually find it better to have just one RW keyring, and feed any RO
keyrings I might need (such as Debian's) to gnupg to get them added to that
RW keyring.  Since gnupg's handling of multiple keyrings is not really that
hot, keeping track of only a simple RW keyring helps a lot.

> Peace.
Hmm, sorry about that. I sounded far more annoyed/annoying ;) than I should
have.

  Henrique Holschuh