Re: [RFC] Developer documentation packages.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:43:36PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 06:08:30PM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> > IMHO it would be better to provide HTML and text formats, together with the
> > source format from where on the preferred document format can be generated.
>
> Yep. Instead of all these packages with ps and pdf files, whereever possible,
> why don't we just have the LaTeX/Texinfo/Tex/Docbook/whatever source, with
> instructions on how to build ps/pdf in README.Debian? (The instructions are
> nesseccary, unless you expect everyone to know how to build Docbook and
> whatever other obscure formats.)

That's a great idea, but so many e-books are not in latex/docbook/texinfo
formats. My primary idea is to give access to as many ebooks as
possible. E.g. all W3C documents are in HTML or PDF format.
In that case HTML is preferred. But so many books are only available
in PDF format - which can be printed in non-letter formats easily.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine