Re: [RFC] Developer documentation packages.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:30:54PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Some e-books are available also under Open Publication License.
> > What do you think of a pseudo package `ebooks-dev' which collects as
> > many guides, faqs and e-books as possible (in HTML format whenever
> > possible)? Is this a well-known question? What are your comments
> > about this argument?
>
> Books are big.  Something that pulls in a lot of them is likely to be
> quite heavy.  I think a package called 'books index' would make more
> sense.  This would provide an index to all the book packages that are
> available in Debian, instructing the user on how to go about
> downloading it.  Does something like this make sense?

Well if we started with conventional names such as

ebook-dev-*

then something like:

apt-cache search ebook-dev

suffices for a complete index. In this case, a pseudo package could
be unuseful.

What about a unique tree for this kind of books, like

/usr/share/doc/ebook-dev

which contains a couple of directories:

	html
	pdf