Re: Student Looking for A Final Year Project

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 01:31:14PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:

> > Actually, one good solution is turning on the Nagle algorithm, or rather
> > not using TCP_NODELAY (I don't know if ssh sets it, but I guess it does to
> > improve responsiveness). What you propose will break situations where you
> > have to type one non-interesting key to invoke an action, people wait for
>
> No, the server just registers that key as a key that will push all the data.
> It would be more efficient than anything that the Nagle algorithm could
> produce AND give the best responsiveness.

Well, Nagle is very good for fast typers :).

> BTW  All correctly written terminal programs will push all data out and
> defeat the Nagle algorithm anyway.

I don't know whether that really is correct behaviour. Depends on your point of
view I think.

> > it to happen but it won't be sent out because of your proposed terminal
> > type. The only way you could safely do this is if the server side would
> > send cues whether or not to do character/word/line buffering.
>
> Of course, as I specified in my original message!

After rereading, I noticed I overlooked "allows the _server_ to say", you are
right.

  Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.warande.net>